Myself, the moment and the mountain- Aidan

I've traveled to many places in my short sixteen years on this earth, and through those travels my perspective and curiosity have multiplied. This is true of my trip to Ireland so far as well. There was one moment that stuck out specifically to me on my trip. As we were preparing to hike up a passage way between two mountains, Con approached me and spoke to me. He asked me if I was ready to hike, and being the excited person I am, I responded with "Oh yeah!". I had my back pack on, my headband secured, my water bottle full and my hiking boots tied very tightly. As I smiled at Con, he looked at me and said "Take your back pack off! You don't need it," and I responded with "I don't?". Con proceeded to take my pack off my back and threw my water bottle into my hands. He told me to "drink beyond my thirst" and to "leave all appendages behind". He told me that I didn't need my rain coat or my water bottle or anything and that all bags and extra things to hold were superfluous. This moment stuck out to me in that it put me out of my comfort zone. I felt like a true Irish mountain hiker without my back pack. I felt free and powerful without my water bottle in my hand. I left all items behind and focused only on myself, the moment and the mountain. 

Comments

Popular Posts