Rest and Song

Today was a slower day, but was really nice. In the morning we woke up early, per usual, at 8:00 AM to eat breakfast (though not all of us were able to make it to breakfast--some of us slept through it). After breakfast Naoise walked us to an old church. There were beautiful gardens behind the church and an auditorium where we said our morning prayers. Then, Ann and Con drove us to two archeological sites which had both been traveled on by pilgrims for thousands of years. The first was an old pilgrim's beehive hut that we prayed in and the second site was an old monastery. After that, we went to lunch early and had delicious apple and blackberry pie. The rest of the day we were allowed to freely walk about Dingle. Kendall, Jenny and I immediately headed out to town to shop for gifts for our families. In a small souvenir shop we met an old woman that talked on and on about the Irish language and about her love for her country.

We ended up staying in the shop and talking for longer than expected. The line to buy gifts piled up and became agitated, but she paid no mind and kept talking to us. It was funny. I didn't have my gifts with me, but Kendall and Jenny decided to give gifts to her. When we explained our pilgrimage she was delighted and told us all about the saints and told us that we should visit the church up the street (the one we prayed at that morning). After we said our farewells to Maura we continued to shop until we ran low on money and headed back to the hotel. We ate dinner at the blue zone and had pizza, but my favorite part of the day was by far at the pub after dinner. We headed to the pub at about 9:00 PM to hear Irish music. But my dad, Tim, decided it would be a good idea to sing together. I was hesitant, but it ended up being so much fun. The crowd was encouraging, and the woman I sang with asked my father and I to record a song in her shop. So that is what we are planning to do tomorrow afternoon. However, tomorrow we are hiking mount Brandon. It'll be a 6 hour hike. I'd better get my rest.   -Olivia

Comments

Popular Posts