So it Begins.. We meet Conor Moriarty via Skype... Tim Prepares

Con Moriarty, our guide from Hidden Ireland tours, looks like what you would imagine an Irish Pilgrimage leader would look like. Not only that, but we all got the feeling that he gets it. He knows that we are not going on a "trip" or a "tour" or a vacation but a pilgrimage. All of us, on some level, are longing to encounter the holy. We are all seeking something as "holy travelers" have done for ages.
We  met Con via Skype. All of us felt a connection with him pretty instantly. We are excited about being with him in a few days. 


Since then, we have been involved in our preparations in various ways. I know that I have been trying to do all the administrative stuff that tends to make these journeys go more smoothly. (Not one of my best gifts, but I am working on it). My first (and hopefully my only one this big) goof was that I noticed that the flight time I put on the "final draft" itinerary was not correct. Thank goodness I found this goof yesterday (June 1) and not on Saturday when we were leaving. (A hint: before emailing a time out to parents... look at the plane tickets...) 

My preparation has been to re-read Phil Cousineau's book, to read lots of Irish Poetry and my lonely planet books and to work on finishing a book of readings for the pilgrims. So many details to tend to. And to think, on Saturday, they will all be finished as I board the plane with 17 pilgrims....

Our Deepest Longings...
Phil Cousineau talks about looking for our "bliss" or our heart's "deepest longings" and see what pulls us towards our journey. 

I think that for me, my major bit of spiritual work this last few years as been dealing with fear in all its forms. I have been reading lots about it, using scripture that talks about it, talking to others and trying, when I can, to face fears, old and new. I think my bliss or deepest longing for this voyage might be to seek answers or beginnings to answers, about what it looks like, as a Christ - follower, not to be afraid.  Not sure if anything will come of this in Ireland, but I am holding this question as an intention or opening for God on this pilgrimage. 

-Tim Black



Comments

Popular Posts